Mr. Hamilton is a founding partner of HSSM. He practices law in all areas of dispute resolution, with his trial practice having an emphasis on construction and other civil litigation. Mr. Hamilton is a past President of the Mecklenburg County Bar, a former Delegate to the American Bar Association’s House of Delegates, and a former affiliate member of the American Institute of Architects. He speaks regularly on construction-related issues to lawyers, design professionals, and others involved in the construction process. He is also a former member and Board member of The Construction Professionals Network of North Carolina. He has represented design professionals, owners, municipalities, developers, contractors, subcontractors and vendors in several hundred matters, with claims in dispute ranging from residential and multi family housing matters to public, commercial, and industrial construction claims. He has acted as panel and approved counsel for several carriers, representing design professional insureds.
In addition to his trial practice, Mr. Hamilton has been involved in alternative dispute resolution for more than twenty years. He is certified as a mediator by the North Carolina Administrative Office of the Courts, and as a commercial and construction mediator and arbitrator by the American Arbitration Association. He is a founding member of the Arbitration Group, LLC, which provides dispute resolution services in the Carolinas. He chaired the Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee of the Mecklenburg County Bar for nine years, during which time a variety of dispute resolution programs were designed for and introduced into state and federal courts. He also served on the Board of the Dispute Resolution Section of the North Carolina Bar Association. He has spoken extensively on ADR in a variety of forums, including seminars presented by both the North Carolina Bar Association and the Mecklenburg County Bar, as well as to trade, professional, civic and community groups. He has served as a facilitator at mediator training programs conducted by the American Arbitration Association and other educators. He has acted as an arbitrator and mediator in over two thousand matters, including civil, commercial, business, banking, finance, employment and construction disputes.
- Appellate Advocacy
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- Corporate Transactions, Governance + Disputes
- Design Professional Services
- Mediator + Arbitrator Services
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of Law, JD with honors, 1977, Order of the Coif
- Georgetown University, BS (Foreign Service) magna cum laude, 1974, Phi Beta Kappa
- Representation of clients in federal and state courts in a broad variety of disputes ranging from complex business disputes to individual actions.
- Representation of clients ranging from corporations large and small, public and private, to individuals and associations.
- Works with all entities involved in the construction arena including owners, design professionals, contractors, and sureties to provide counsel throughout the construction practice, and representation in disputes in both courts and alternative forums such as arbitrations.
- Active in all aspects of dispute avoidance and resolution.
- Certified mediator and arbitrator, having acted as an advocate, neutral and panelist in hundreds of mediations and arbitrations.
- Speaker at numerous seminars presented by North Carolina Bar Foundation and Mecklenburg County Bar on all aspects of alternative dispute resolution.
Honors + Activities
- Martindale - Hubble® AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating
- Selected in Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite" publication
- Honored in Best Lawyers in Commercial Litigation and Litigation-Construction, and selected as "Lawyer of the Year" in 2012 and 2019 for Litigation-Construction
- Recognized in North Carolina Super Lawyers, and listed as "Top 100 North Carolina Super Lawyers" in 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2014, and "Top 25 Charlotte Super Lawyers" in 2013 and 2014
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association & Construction, Litigation and Dispute Resolution Sections
- Former Board Member, North Carolina Bar Association Young Lawyers Division
- Former Member of Executive Committee and Board, Mecklenburg County Bar
- Former Chair, Mecklenburg Bar Association Young Lawyers Division
- Former Member and Board Chair, Legal Services of Southern Piedmont
- Former Board Member, Construction Professionals Network of North Carolina
- Former Board Member and Board Chair, Hospice at Charlotte
- Former Board Member and Chair of various committees, American Cancer Society, Mecklenburg Division
- Recipient of American Cancer Society Good of Society Award
- Former Board Member, Council for Children
- Board Member, Charlotte Catholic High School Foundation
- Recipient, CCHS Distinguished Alumni Award
- Leadership Charlotte Class III