Mr. Thompson is currently the co-managing partner of HSSM.
Mr. Thompson joined HSSM in 2007 as a member of the Bankruptcy Law Section and in 2011 stepped in to lead the expanded Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Creditors’ Rights practice group of the firm. In that capacity, he has represented several debtors-in-possession to successfully confirmed plans of reorganization. In addition, he has led numerous small businesses and small business owners through the process of negotiating out-of-court workouts to restructure debts and avoid bankruptcy altogether. He has also advised guarantors on negotiating significant reductions in their liability for business debt.
He has led HSSM’s expansion into significant creditors’ rights representation, including protecting the rights of a franchisor against an attempt to circumvent non-compete provisions of a franchise agreement; protecting financial institutions from misappropriation of the their assets by a debtor-in-possession; and negotiating on behalf of vendors to receive favorable treatment in assets sales and bankruptcy cases around the country. More recently, his practice has entailed the filing and prosecuting of several involuntary bankruptcy petitions.
Prior to joining HSSM, Mr. Thompson was an associate in the Orange County, CA office of Shook. Hardy & Bacon with a practice concentrating on product liability litigation. That litigation experience now serves as a cornerstone of the practice group. Before that, he spent two years as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable J. Craig Whitley, United State Bankruptcy Judge for the Western District of North Carolina. Mr. Thompson is admitted to practice in both North Carolina and California.
Mr. Thompson is a native of Charlotte, having attended Myers Park High School and a second generation bankruptcy lawyer.
- Washington and Lee School of Law, J.D., 2003, Washington & Lee Journal of Civil Rights and Social Justice, executive editor
- Wake Forest University, B.A., 1998
- Representation of Chapter 11 Debtors-in-Possession including negotiating use of Cash Collateral; preparing, negotiating and litigating plans of reorganization; disputing lien priorities; assumption/rejection of executory contracts and leases; conducting asset sales; objecting to creditor claims; and prosecuting and defending avoidance actions.
- Representation of principals of Chapter 11 Debtors including resolution of bankruptcy litigation claims, negotiating guaranty liability with banks, and protecting equity position within reorganization.
- Representation of creditor in filing involuntary bankruptcy to prevent dissipation of assets by Debtor, equity holders, or secured creditors.
- Representation of Secured Creditors including foreclosing on real estate assets; obtaining relief from the automatic stay; protecting cash collateral assets; negotiating asset sales; and determining the validity, extent and priority of liens.
- Representation of Unsecured Creditors including filings proofs of claim, asserting 20-day administrative claims under section 503(b)(9) of the Bankruptcy Code, asserting reclamation rights, and protecting priority claims.
- Speaker and author of “Perspectives that Corporate and Non-Bankruptcy Attorneys Need to Know to Protect Their Corporate Clients and Business Owners,” Mecklenburg County Bar, 2011; “Beyond Reorganization: Chapter 11 Issues for the Non-Operating Business,” W.D.N.C. Seminar, 2011; snd “Tips and Tricks of Bankruptcy Practice in the W.D.N.C.,” Mecklenburg County Bar, 2011
Honors + Activities
- Martindale - Hubble® BV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating
- Selected as a “Legal Elite” in Business North Carolina’s “Legal Elite” publication
- Selected as a “Super Lawyer” in the North Carolina Super Lawyers publication
- Council Member, Bankruptcy Section of the North Carolina Bar Association (2011-2013)
- Chair of Business Committee Bankruptcy Section of the North Carolina Bar Association (2009-2011)
- Attorney Mentor, Mecklenburg County Bar Special Committee on Diversity
- CLE Committee of the Mecklenburg County Bar, Member (2011), Co-Chair (2012), Chair (2013)