Mr. Riopel is currently the co-managing partner of HSSM.
Mr. Riopel is a certified Family Law Specialist and represents individuals in family law matters. He is an experienced litigator in all facets of family law, having tried complex child custody, alimony and equitable distribution cases, including those involving the evaluation of majority and minority ownership interests in closely held corporations. He has narrowed his focus to representing individuals who are trying to resolve their matters without resorting to litigation. This includes representing clients in mediations and arbitrations. Mr. Riopel has also handled appeals in the North Carolina Court of Appeals. In addition to representing individuals in collaborative and non-litigation family law matters, Mr. Riopel has mediated over 1,000 family law cases. He is a certified family financial mediator as well as a Superior Court certified mediator.
Prior to joining HSSM, Mr. Riopel was a partner at the firm that was formerly known as Casstevens, Hanner, Gunter, Riopel & Wofford, PA.
- Colgate University, B.A., 1989
- Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D., 1994
- Mediated over 1,300 family law cases with child custody, alimony, child support and equitable distribution issues;
- Served as the arbitrator in numerous cases involving custody , alimony, and equitable distribution;
- Mediated numerous equitable distribution cases involving business valuations of closely held corporations, LLCs, physician practices and the like;
- Served as a parenting coordinator for numerous high conflict child custody cases;
- Represented individuals involved in international child custody litigation and litigation regarding adoption;
- Mediated numerous Alienation of Affections and Criminal Conversation cases; and
- Spoken on various topics in the area, family law, as part of continuing legal education seminars and family law focus seminars.
Honors + Activities
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association, Family Law Section;
- Mecklenburg County Bar, Family Law Section;
- Former member of the Family Law Council, the governing body of the Family Law Section of the North Carolina Bar Association;
- One of the founding members of the Charlotte Collaborative Law Practice Group;
- AV Martindale Hubble Peer Review Rated
- Board Certified Family Law Specialist
- Voted as a Legal Elite
- Voted as a Super Lawyer, Top 25 in Charlotte and Top 100 in North Carolina in 2016, 2017, and 2020