Ms. Cheney focuses her practice on construction and land use, including:
Ms. Cheney represents public and private owners, design professionals and contractors in disputes related to public and private projects.
She has vast experience litigating for and against local governments regarding zoning, condemnation, public bidding, municipal contracting and municipal liability.
Prior to joining HSSM, Becky was counsel for Charlotte Douglas International Airport from 2000-2007. Before that, she was an attorney with Kilpatrick Stockton, LLP
- Airports + Aviation
- Appellate Advocacy
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- Land Use / Condemnation
- Local Government
- Property Tax Appeals
- The University of Virginia School of Law, JD, 1994
- Marshall University, BBA (Finance), 1991
- Representing the City of Charlotte in construction litigation with its prime contractor on the extension of the Blue Line light rail system
- Representing the City of Charlotte in eminent domain cases related to the expansion of Charlotte Douglas International Airport and the extension of the Blue Line light rail system
- Defending poultry farmers and owners from agricultural nuisance claims
- Negotiating and drafting contract documents for major public/private construction project in downtown Charlotte
- Negotiating and drafting RFQ and contract documents for construction manager at risk for $58 million renovation and expansion of public water system.
Honors + Activities
- Martindale - Hubbell® AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating
- Best Lawyers®, 2020 edition
- Board of Directors, Marshall University Yeager Scholars
- Board of Directors, The John Crosland School
- Charlotte Real Estate Women (CREW)