Matt is an associate in Hamilton Stephens’ Bankruptcy, Restructuring + Creditors’ Rights and Commercial Litigation practice groups. Matt represents corporate debtors in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy process, creditors in collections actions in and out of bankruptcy, and assists creditors and debtors in negotiating and restructuring existing agreements and debts. Matt further uses his knowledge of the commercial construction industry coupled with his experience litigating cases in Virginia to better understand and relate to his clients’ specific needs.
Matt uses his knowledge and experience in civil litigation to help clients navigate through both the commercial and bankruptcy litigation processes. He also advises guarantors on negotiating significant reductions in their liability for business debt and assists clients with state court civil litigation and collection actions. Matt is licensed to practice law in both North Carolina and Virginia.
Prior to joining Hamilton Stephens Matt practiced with a Richmond, Virginia bankruptcy and civil litigation law firm. Before that he spent one-year as a judicial law clerk for the Honorary R. Edwin Burnette, Jr. and the Honorary F. Patrick Yeatts in the 24th Judicial Circuit of Virginia where he gained extensive insight and experience in civil litigation including complex motion practices and trial processes.
Matt earned his law degree from Washington & Lee University School of Law where he served as a board member of the German Law Journal and worked as a legal extern in the Washington & Lee University Office of General Counsel. Prior to law school Matt earned his undergraduate degree from St. Lawrence University where he was a member of the Omicron Delta Kappa national leadership honor society and served as the Editor in Chief of the University’s first student run publication journal.
Matt lives here in Charlotte with his Wife and their two dogs. Outside of work he enjoys watching sports and spending time with his family and friends.
- Bankruptcy, Restructuring + Creditors' Rights
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Transactions, Governance + Disputes
- Design Professional Services
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., 2015, German Law Journal, Board Member and Research Editor
- St. Lawrence University, B.A., cum laude
Honors + Activities
- Bar Admissions
- North Carolina
- Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- North Carolina State Courts
- Virginia State Courts
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association, Member
- CLE Committee of the Mecklenburg County Bar, Member
- Greater Charlotte Hospitality & Tourism Alliance, Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Washington & Lee University School of Law Professionalism and Service Award for Exceptional Law Related Service