With an extensive practice in the commercial construction industry and in commercial litigation, Dan Finegan’s sole focus in his legal practice is to provide high-quality and cost-effective representation to his clients. He takes pride in his ability to provide aggressive representation tempered with practical, cost-effective solutions wherever possible. Dan is most known and appreciated for his creative solutions and strategies and his relentless outcome-oriented approach.
In his commercial construction practice, Dan focuses his representation on general contractors, major trade contractors and subcontractors, but also has experience representing developers, owners, and sureties. He assists these clients throughout the life cycle of their projects: from contract review and negotiation, project management best practices, and ultimately handling high stakes litigation and arbitration when other options are no longer viable. Dan has substantial experience in handling all aspects of state and federal litigation and truly partners with his clients to ensure that the effort and cost spent in litigation is designed to meet the client’s strategic goals for the case.
Dan is a proud graduate of Wake Forest University School of Law where he was honored as a Law Alumni Council Scholar, a member of the Law Review Board of Editors, and served as the president of the Public Interest Law Organization. He remains committed to regularly taking on pro bono representations and advancing the public interest through his private practice.
In support of his community, Dan has served on the board of local non-profit organizations and the Board of Elders at Lake Forest Church. He resides in Davidson with his wife and four daughters. Outside of the office, Dan enjoys spending time doing anything that takes him outside – including hiking, camping, boating and gardening.
- Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D. (2007)
- Law Alumni Council Scholar
- Member of the Law Review Board of Editors
- President of the Public Interest Law Organization
- Hanover College, B.A. (2003)
- Represented general contractor in two-week arbitration hearing regarding dispute with owner over construction of apartment complex, resulting in favorable settlement for contractor client.
- Represented commercial developer in appellate reversal of trial court’s order dissolving client’s $2 million order of attachment based on incorrect application of general contractor licensing statute.
- Represented Korean textile importer in complex contract and business tort claim against former employee-manager who diverted corporate funds for personal use. Resulted in favorable jury verdict of over $1 million which was affirmed on appeal.
- Represented real estate developer in litigation and obtaining Rule 12 dismissal for breach of contract claims brought by firm attempting to enforce sale of land illegally.
- Defended mountain resort developer client against foreclosure proceeding brought by FDIC and obtained Rule 12 dismissal of subsequent federal court action.
- Represented corporation in appellate reversal of trial court’s order denying motion to compel arbitration in lawsuit by corporate officer over stock subscription agreements.
Honors + Activities
- SuperLawyers, “Rising Star” in Litigation (2014)
- SuperLawyers, Construction Litigation (2022-2023)
- Legal Elite (2023)
- Caterpillar Ministries, Board of Directors
- Lake Forest Church, Board of Elders
- Pro Bono
- Mecklenburg County Bar – Communications Committee
- Council for Children’s Rights
- Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy