Carmela Mastrianni is an attorney in the firm’s Commercial Construction Litigation Group. She primarily represents subcontractors, and design professionals, general contractors and more in lawsuits alleging construction defects, delay claims, accounts collection, and other work or project issues. In addition to her construction work, Carmela represents landlords in summary ejectment actions, unconventional tenancies, and related litigation matters.
Carmela is licensed in both North Carolina and South Carolina and splits her practice between the two states. Most recently, she was recognized for her legal work by Chambers USA as one of the Construction “Associates to Watch” in North Carolina (2020, 2021); was invited to join the 2024 Class of the NC Construction Council, a division of the North Carolina Bar Construction Section; and was selected as one of the 2020 Diversity Fellows for the ABA Forum on Construction.
Carmela is a “double-heel”, having earned both her undergraduate and law degrees at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. During her time as an undergraduate, Carmela was a member of the Women’s Varsity Rowing Team and was team captain her senior year. While in law school, she served as the Symposium Editor of the North Carolina Journal of Law and Technology.
When outside the office, Carmela enjoys hiking and adventuring with Harvey, her Pitbull Boxer and competing in her local kickball league on Sunday afternoons.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, J.D. with honors, 2016
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., 2013
Honors + Activities
- North Carolina Bar, North Carolina Construction Council, Class of 2024
- Chambers USA, North Carolina Construction, “Associates to Watch,” 2020, 2021
- ABA Forum on Construction, Diversity Fellow, 2020
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite, Young Guns Award Recipient, 2020
- North Carolina Bar Construction Section, CLE Committee (2020 – present)
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association, Bar Leadership Institute 2020 Class
- ABA Forum on Construction Law, Division 4 Working Committee (April 2019 – Present)
- ABA Forum on Construction Law, Member (2018 – present)
- American Bar Association, Member (2018 – present)
- Mecklenburg Bar Association, Member (2016 – present)
- ABA Forum on Construction Law, Workshop A Session Coordinator, Managing Integrated Project Delivery, 2020 Annual Conference
- ABA Forum on Construction Law, Plenary 9 Session Coordinator, Perspective from the Bench: Model Rule 8.4(g) and a return to Professionalism, 2019 Fall Conference