HSSM’s Appellate Advocacy group has the unique knowledge and skill set required to manage all litigation above the trial court level and has successfully represented its clients throughout all facets of the appellate process in the North Carolina appellate courts, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court. This experience includes management of the entire appellate process—
- from the filing of the notice of appeal,
- through preparation of a complete record on appeal,
- appellate motions,
- and briefs,
- to oral argument.
Our experienced attorneys combine sophisticated written and oral advocacy skills with thorough knowledge of the complex rules of appellate procedure in order to provide effective appellate representation to our clients.
- Successfully affirming in the North Carolina Court of Appeals a summary judgment ruling in favor of our clients where the opposing party failed to preserve certain questions for appeal.
- Successfully affirming in the North Carolina Court of Appeals a judgment from a bench trial allowing our client to enforce its lien on property despite challenges from the developer and lender.
- Successfully affirming in the Fourth Circuit a judgment from a federal jury trial allowing our manufacturing client to terminate the plaintiff sales agent’s contract for cause.
- Obtaining the denial of a petition for discretionary review by an opposing party to the North Carolina Supreme Court.
In addition to managing appeals for all the HSSM practice groups, the Appellate Advocacy group also handles appeals for other firms who may lack the experience or time necessary to shepherd a case from the trial court decision through the often long process of appeal. We also provide pre-trial consultation to assist with preserving issues for appeal and to ensure that, even if a trial court result is unfavorable, the client still has access to a higher court.
HSSM’s Appellate Advocacy group also is available to research and prepare briefs for amicus curiae.
Reach out to any of our experienced professionals to see if Hamilton Stephens Steele + Martin, PLLC can assist you.