HSSM’s Financial Services and Investments group has long represented broker-dealers, investment advisors, and private investors in a wide range of matters arising under the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), and before its predecessor, the National Association of Securities Dealers (the “NASD”). Typically, these types of claims are brought as arbitrations before FINRA, which operates the largest dispute resolution forum in the securities industry to assist in the resolution of monetary and business disputes between and among investors, brokerage firms and individual brokers.
Our representation of individual investors has included:
- pursuing claims against broker-dealers and individual brokers who committed wrongful acts against our clients, which may include, but are not necessarily limited to, claims of churning, unsuitability, unauthorized trading, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, unfair and deceptive trade practices, negligent hiring, and failure to supervise.
Our representation of broker-dealers and/or investment counselors has included:
- responding and defending investigations and prosecutions brought by FINRA against broker-dealers or individual industry professionals, and pursuing actions to have changes made to an individual broker’s U-4;
- prosecuting and defending employment issues that may arise between individual brokers and broker-dealers such as non-compete agreements, trade secrets, commission disputes, discrimination, wrongful termination, and defamation;
- defending broker-dealers and individual brokers in actions brought by individual investors; and
- assuring compliance with the Protocol for Broker Recruiting.
Reach out to any of our experienced professionals to see if Hamilton Stephens Steele + Martin, PLLC can assist you.