Carolyn, or “Lynn” as most people call her, focuses her practice in family law and related civil litigation.
As a child of divorced parents, and having been raised by a single mother for the first eight years of her life, Lynn has a personal understanding of how family law issues impact all parties involved, including the children. She uses her professional experience combined with her personal understanding to assist her clients in making the legal process as simple, efficient and painless as possible.
Lynn is also a Certified Family Financial Mediator.* After spending 8+ years as a litigator, she felt that she could use her extensive courtroom experience to help guide people towards settlement outside the courtroom. Since becoming certified in April 2019, Lynn has mediated dozens of cases, and has successfully helped a majority of those people settle. While Lynn still handles cases in active litigation on a regular basis, she has found that adding meditations to her practice has resulted in helping even more people reach a resolution in their lives. This brings her great joy, and she is very proud to help people in this way.
Lynn not only handles divorce and custody matters, but also helps her clients with alienation of affection cases. Her most notable trial resulted in a $1.5 million judgment for alienation of affection while in Raleigh. After returning to Charlotte, Lynn participated as co-counsel in an alienation of affection case, which resulted in a jury verdict of $1.3 million in their client’s favor. Subsequently, she handled another trial for alienation of affection which resulted in a $300,000 jury verdict in her client’s favor. Because of this experience, Lynn is well versed in the intricacies of the laws surrounding alienation of affection cases and has been chosen as a CLE speaker on this topic.
Giving back to her community is a high priority for Lynn. While in Raleigh, she volunteered with Legal Aid of North Carolina assisting victims of domestic violence by obtaining restraining orders. Upon returning home to Charlotte, Lynn joined the Board of Directors for Shelter Health Services, a 501(c)(3) which provides free healthcare and health education to homeless women and children through its walk-in clinic. She serves Shelter Health Services on the Executive Board.
In her spare time Lynn likes to spend time with her husband, Matt, and their daughter Benner. They love Discovery Place and learning about animals and nature.
*To learn more about Lynn's mediation practice, visit her website, Charlotte Family Matters.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of Law, JD, 2011
- The Johns Hopkins University, BA (International Relations), 2008
- Tried multiple domestic cases in several counties throughout the state
- Successfully tried an alienation of affection and criminal conversation case before a judge in which her client realized a $1.5 million dollar verdict
- Speaker on various topics in the area of family law as part of continuing legal education seminars and family law focused seminars
Honors + Activities
- North Carolina Super Lawyers “Rising Star,” 2018, 2019, & 2020
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Member, Mecklenburg County Bar, Family Law Section
- Speaker at Continuing Legal Education regarding alienation of affection and criminal conversation
- Speaker at Mecklenburg County Bar, Small Firm and Solo Practitioner Section regarding social media and law practice
- Legal Elite in Family Law, Business North Carolina, 2017, 2018, 2019, & 2020