Sarah Sawyer first came to HSSM as a Summer Associate in 2016 and returned to the firm in June of the following year after her graduation from law school. Sarah started her practice in HSSM’s Construction and Commercial Litigation groups, during which time she became well-versed in all aspects of civil litigation and gained experience trying civil cases in various practice areas. She has now fully transitioned to practicing in HSSM’s Real Estate and Corporate Transaction groups, although she continues to handle some litigation related to those practice areas, and also handles various appellate matters. Since that time, she has gained experience representing clients in real estate acquisitions, sales, financing, development, title matters and leasing, as well as in various aspects of entity formation and governance.
Sarah earned her undergraduate degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Peace, War and Defense with a minor in German, where she was also a member of Delta Phi Alpha (National German Honor Society). She also obtained her law degree at Chapel Hill, where she served as the Articles Editor of the North Carolina International Law Journal.
Sarah is a North Carolina native, growing up in Hillsborough, North Carolina and has resided in Charlotte since joining the firm in 2017. Outside of work, she enjoys cooking, yoga, all things related to the Tar Heels, and spending time with her fiancé and their three dogs, Loki (a German Shepherd), River (a Yellow Labrador) and Baloo (a Belgian Malinois mix).
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, J.D., 2017
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., 2013
Honors + Activities
- North Carolina Super Lawyers “Rising Star,” 2022-2023
- Member, North Carolina State Bar
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association
- Member, Real Property Section of North Carolina Bar Association
- Member, Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Admitted to U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina