Mr. Merritt represents a broad range of corporate and governmental clients. His governmental practice includes representing municipalities as their general counsel and as outside counsel in areas including zoning, condemnation, annexation, land use and contract issues. Mr. Merritt also represents airports with respect to compliance with FAA and land use regulations. Mr. Merritt’s commercial practice includes extensive experience with complex commercial litigation, antitrust, general commercial disputes, partnership issues, fiduciary obligations, shareholder disputes, real property litigation (including representing landowners in condemnation cases), and landlord-tenant disputes. Mr. Merritt also has substantial experience in representing both borrowers and lenders in loan work-outs and foreclosure issues, including the negotiation of loan modifications and forbearance agreements.
Mr. Merritt has been recognized by his peers in “Best Lawyers in America”, in which he was named the Charlotte Land Use and Zoning Litigation attorney of the year for 2012, “Superlawyers”, Chambers USA, and North Carolina “Legal Elite.”
Mr. Merritt is admitted to practice in North Carolina, before the United States District Courts of the Western, Middle and Eastern Districts of North Carolina, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, and in Texas.
- Airports + Aviation
- Bankruptcy, Restructuring + Creditors' Rights
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- Corporate Transactions, Governance + Disputes
- Land Use / Condemnation
- Local Government
- Real Estate
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of Law, JD with honors, 1990
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, BA, 1987
- Representation of various municipalities as general counsel and with respect to airport related issues.
- Representation of clients in various aspects of land use litigation including condemnation and zoning.
- Representation of clients in a variety of commercial disputes including breach of contract, partnership issues, sales and non-competition agreements and petroleum marketing under the Petroleum Marketing Practice Act.
Honors + Activities
- Martindale - Hubble® AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating
- Selected as a “Super Lawyer” in the North Carolina Super Lawyers publication
- Honored in Best Lawyers in State/Local/Municipality, and selected as "Lawyer of the Year" in 2012, 2016 and 2017 for Litigation - Land Use and Zoning
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association & Litigation Section
- Member, Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association