Mr. Adams handles labor and employment matters, representing clients in both state and federal courts, and before the EEOC and the Department of Labor. He also has an active practice representing clients before FINRA in disputes over non-competition, non-solicitation, trade secrets, and other similar employment agreements, and in prosecuting and defending investor complaints. In addition, he represents clients in business and commercial litigation matters, including breach of contract and tort issues arising out of business relationships. Mr. Adams is also a certified North Carolina Superior Court mediator.
Prior to joining HSSM, Mr. Adams clerked for the Hon. John C. Martin, now Chief Judge of the North Carolina Court of Appeals, and he practiced from 1996 to 2001 in the Charlotte office of Smith Helms Mulliss & Moore (now McGuire Woods).
- Commercial Litigation
- Employment Law
- Financial Services and Investments
- Mediator + Arbitrator Services
- University of North Carolina School of Law, JD with Honors, 1995, North Carolina Law Review, Note Editor
- Duke University, The Divinity School, Master of Divinity, 1990
- University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky BBA, 1985
- Represented architecture firms in preparing employment and restrictive covenant agreements.
- Represented investment management and financial planning company in preparation of employment agreement for new executive.
- Represented multiple physicians in negotiating employment agreements with clinics and hospitals.
- Represented former employee in resolving claims against national employer for racial and disability discrimination.
- Represented physician in resolving claimed breach of restrictive covenant agreement.
- Represented senior level executives in negotiating and resolving Severance Agreements with professional sports franchise.
- Represented senior level executive in negotiating and resolving Severance Agreement with national home improvement chain.
- Represented former employee in pursuing OSHA claims against national banking company.
- Prepared employee handbooks for multiple clients.
- Represented broker-dealer in multiple prosecutions of restrictive covenant breaches.
- Prosecuted multiple investment and suitability claims against national broker-dealers.
- Prosecuted breach of contract claim on behalf of national hotel chain against international organization.
- Prosecuted lawsuit on behalf of national accounting firm for breach of sale agreement.
- Represented individual client in asserting shareholder derivative claim against companies.
Honors + Activities
- Martindale - Hubble® AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating
- “Legal Elite,” Business North Carolina
- Leadership Charlotte, Class XXVII
- Board of Directors, Sow Much Good, Inc.
- President Elect, Executive Committee, and Board Member of the Mecklenburg Bar Foundation
- Board of Directors, Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Chair, Community Schools Project of Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Basic Operating Grants Panel, Arts & Sciences Council
- Administrative Board and Stewardship Committee, Myers Park United Methodist Church
- Board of Advisors, Childress Klein YMCA
- Volunteer, Council for Children’s Rights
- Volunteer, Legal Aid of North Carolina
- Volunteer, Domestic Violence Victim Assistance