Becky Cheney is currently the co-managing member of HSSM.
Ms. Cheney focuses her practice on litigation, handling all types of business and property disputes, including:
In construction matters, Ms. Cheney represents local governments and other owners, design professions and contractors in disputes related to public and private projects.
She has vast experience litigating for and against local governments regarding zoning, condemnation, public bidding, municipal contracting and municipal liability.
Ms. Cheney also has substantial appellate advocacy experience for state court matters.
In non-litigation matters, Ms. Cheney counsels local governments, contractors, design professionals, vendors and other private parties on all aspects of public construction projects and local government contracting. She is experienced in handling public records, open meetings and First Amendment issues.
Prior to joining HSSM, Becky was counsel for Charlotte Douglas International Airport from 2000-2007. Before that, she was an attorney with Kilpatrick Stockton, LLP
- Airports + Aviation
- Appellate Advocacy
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- Land Use / Condemnation
- Local Government
- The University of Virginia School of Law, JD, 1994
- Marshall University, BBA (Finance), 1991
- Representing the City of Charlotte in eminent domain cases related to the extension of the Blue Line light rail system to UNC-C
- Defending poultry farmers and owners from agricultural nuisance claims
- Negotiating and drafting contract documents for major public/private construction project in downtown Charlotte
- Negotiating and drafting RFQ and contract documents for construction manager at risk for $58 million renovation and expansion of public water system.
Honors + Activities
- Martindale - Hubbell® AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating
- Board of Directors, Marshall University Yeager Scholars